Veterans housing in Poway

A forum to discuss Strong Towns topics related to San Diego.

Moderator: dh92126

dh92126

Veterans housing in Poway

Post by dh92126 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:56 am

San Diego Union-Tribune: Long abandoned Big Stone Lodge in Poway could soon be torn down
Meanwhile, the city has been searching for years for a spot to build low-income veterans housing and officials think the 1.7-acre property is perfect because of its location, which would likely not generate any stiff community opposition.
By that they mean the location is perfect because it is far from neighbors who would oppose the project. But it's also far from everything else!

The location is at 12237 Old Pomerado Rd which is between Poway Rd and Scripps Poway Pkwy. It has a WalkScore of 20 which means "car dependent, almost all errands require a car". It's a mile's walk from the nearest grocery store (Smart & Final) and the nearest bus stop.

Is this how we give our veterans dignity and independence, by making them car-dependent?

davidfischer

Re: Veterans housing in Poway

Post by davidfischer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:54 am

Poway as a city ranks 28 on Walkscore. I don't know if there are too many places in Poway where one would be car independent.

While this isn't Poway, I was fairly happy with the Hotel Churchill renovation in downtown San Diego. It has done a fair amount toward cleaning up C Street without tearing down a building and starting from scratch.

The cost of $20M for housing 72 people is pricey but it did include things like earthquake retrofitting. I don't know if I have the insight to say whether that is worth it. The city still owns the building when all is said and done, I suppose.

dh92126

Re: Veterans housing in Poway

Post by dh92126 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 am

Yes, Poway isn't the best place for affordable housing (even though the land is inexpensive) but I think Poway Rd & Community Rd would be a better location. It has a WalkScore of 86, it has bus stops, and it's near the library (cheap entertainment) and police station (public safety). There are hiking trails along the creek and up the nearby hills, plus a public park a few steps north on Community. It's kind of a noisy area already so there's not much for the neighbors to complain about. There's already some affordable housing in the area and plenty of bare land that exists only to satisfy the city's arbitrary parking requirements. Like the parking lot in front of Wal-Mart--does it ever get completely full?